POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Trivial bug in unix.cpp : Re: Trivial bug in unix.cpp Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:41:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial bug in unix.cpp
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 Nov 2003 17:18:36
Message: <3fc3d53c@news.povray.org>
In article <3fc3c9ad@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

>>> Sorry, but the presence of a flag is tested by using
>>>   state & flag
>>> and not
>>>   state | flag
>>> because the latter is always true.
>>
>> Does the phrase "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" mean anything to you?
>>
> This phrase does not reflect my philisophy.
>
> And -- if you read code like that:
>     if(state | StateBit) { do sth }
> What would you think about the author? -- Oh dear...

Compared to code used in some commercial applications, the code in POV-Ray
is almost perfect. ;-)

Sadly, for any project that is big or complex enough you cannot say much
about the authors if you just look at the code when it is 15 years old and
has been treated by dozens of people.  Even if it would be a new project, at
best you can say how good the project management was, but still very little
about the authors.

Saying something about one particular author requires to make sure only one
author ever touched the code.  If you are lucky you find such condition in
an entry-level programming course, not anywhere else :-(

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde