POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Trivial bug in unix.cpp : Re: Trivial bug in unix.cpp Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial bug in unix.cpp
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 25 Nov 2003 16:29:18
Message: <3fc3c9ad@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Wolfgang Wieser wrote:

>>>Can you clarify the nature of the problem you're fixing ?
>>>

>> Sorry, but the presence of a flag is tested by using
>>   state & flag
>> and not
>>   state | flag
>> because the latter is always true.
>
> Does the phrase "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" mean anything to you?

This phrase does not reflect my philisophy.

And -- if you read code like that:
    if(state | StateBit) { do sth }
What would you think about the author? -- Oh dear...

> I think Nicolas was asking for and explanation why to apply this change.

To ask for "the nature of the problem" sounded to me like complete
lack of understanding... like a "tell me what's going on here?!".
I was really puzzled -- I thought for a UNIX guy like Nicolas
the point should be fairly clear.

>   Something like 'in case of the xxx situation POV-Ray does yyy which is
> not correct'.

I provided the answer, IMO -- quoting myself:

So, in order to comply with the description saying that Control-L
does a complete screen re-draw (as usual in Unix), one has to
apply the change I mentioned.

Wolfgang