POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interactive & Progressive Refinement Patch : Interactive & Progressive Refinement Patch Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Interactive & Progressive Refinement Patch
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 23 Nov 2003 08:15:43
Message: <3fc0b2fe@news.povray.org>
Hi all...

Some time back, I had the idea that one could implement progressive
refinement for POVRay -- something like anti-aliasing for larger pixels.

Sombody else suggested in some news group that it would be nice to use
the mouse to manually select regions to be drawn.

Yesterday, I sat down and wrote a patch which does both these things.

The final image will look just as it does with normal povray because
all pixels are traced in the end. However, the patch enables you to
see the important things earlier during rendering. And: it has little
overhead.

See description and example scene (Alex Kluchikov's isosurface) here:
http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~wwieser/render/povray/prt-patch/

In case somebody is interested in porting it to windows/mac, please
contact me.

Any feedback/comments is appreciated.

Regards,
Wolfgang