POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : OS X 10.2 : Re: OS X 10.2 Server Time
19 May 2024 18:35:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS X 10.2
From: Scott Gammans
Date: 19 Nov 2003 12:02:28
Message: <3fbba224$1@news.povray.org>
Dual processor 2.0 GHz G5 with 2.5 GB RAM. Sweeeeeet machine.

I bought LightWave 7.5 a year ago and have only just now started learning
it--it makes the POV-Ray learning curve look like a gentle slope in
comparison! Also, there are some serious OpenGL problems with LightWave on
Panther (OS X 10.3) which NewTek (the maker of LightWave) has yet to
solve... hopefully LW8, which is due any day now, will solve those issues.

I haven't run any of the POV-Ray benchmarks on my G5 yet because I was so
excited to merely get POV-Ray running at all. The screen saver freeze up was
an annoyance but I got around that by (duh!) turning off the screen saver.
Also, I'm not sure yet but "Background Processing" seemed to cause a
freeze-up---it may very well have been the screen saver that was the real
culprit but until I do some more testing I won't know for sure. (btw, I'm
using the "3.5.1 for G5" rendering engine option... haven't tried the
non-optimized one yet and I figured there was no point in trying the G4
option.)