POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : A question about large animations... : Re: A question about large animations... Server Time
19 Jul 2024 01:00:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about large animations...
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 8 Nov 2003 07:49:29
Message: <3face659$1@news.povray.org>
> Does the famous-infamous ;-) 1 meg limit for animation files still
> apply? If yes, what about establishing a separate binaries newsgroup for
> people who are lucky enough to have DSL connections and/or wanting to
> post large animations? I could imagine that many here would like to see
> such a group...

Nice idea...

...however... the problem is that might mean that all the really cool
animations get put on povray.big-binarys.animations, and nothing gets put on
povray.binaries.animations any more... would be a shame if animations become
purely the presurve of people with fast net connections... :-(

I agree though, it's tough trying to make stuff fit... especially since the
NNTP protocol seems to mandate ASCII-encoding all bianry attachments... I've
discovered that MPEG can be made to fit, but only with insane bitrates...
50k/sec, anyone? +^S

[This is where someone posts a message saying "what we really need is some
super-fantastic new codec that can compress anything into the size of a
peanut"... If only it were that simple! ;-)]

Thanks.
Andrew