POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : DirectX9's HLSL & NVidia's Cg : Re: DirectX9's HLSL & NVidia's Cg Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:46:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DirectX9's HLSL & NVidia's Cg
From: Ryan Bennitt
Date: 7 Nov 2003 11:42:23
Message: <3fabcb6f@news.povray.org>
Hmm, both language's cater for 64-bit floating point precision. I guess with
current hardware, their compilers will truncate any use of 64-bit to 32-bit
floats though. If shaders become more considerably complex in the gaming
industry (as is predicted), then the hardware will follow suit, and there may
well be demand for full 64-bit precision. Maybe today's hardware isn't up to it,
but in the future this might be more viable. As far as I can tell though,
there's nothing in the language specifications that rules out the development of
a ray tracer.

Ryan