POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Crash after 63 frames? : Re: Crash after 63 frames? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:41:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash after 63 frames?
From: Scott Gammans
Date: 4 Nov 2003 15:18:05
Message: <3fa8097d$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote in message
> If you would be willing to post a sample scene that is guaranteed
> to cause the problem in the official POV-Ray for Windows v3.5 on your
> system, I will look into this, so as to settle the matter of whether
> it exists or not.

Chris: Just so you don't have to go back through the replies in this thread
to find my demonstration test, I'm reposting the memory bug demo here.

Please note: I've changed the test in step two to also use Targa for the
output, to address several people's complaints that my first demo used PNG
for the animation output files. The demo now uses nothing but Targa files
for the input and output files. Since--according to Thorsten--Targa file
generation does not use any external libraries, this proves that the memory
allocation bug lies within the general release version 3.5 of POV-Ray.

Step 1: Render the following scene with this command line:
+H1000 +W1000 +Q0 +A0.0 +AM1 +R3 -J0.0 +FC
The output should be a 1000x1000 Targa file. Name the file imagefile.tga.

// Begin file

global_settings {
    assumed_gamma 2.0
    max_trace_level 5
}

camera {
  orthographic
 location y*100
 look_at 0
 angle 90
 right x
 up y
}

#declare Granite_Texture = texture {
    pigment {
        granite
        color_map {
            [0.0 rgb 0.5]
            [0.5 rgb 0.375]
            [1.0 rgb 0.5]
        }
        scale 12
    }
    finish {ambient 1}
}

plane {y,0 texture {Granite_Texture}}

// End of file

Step 2: Render this scene with the following command line:
+W640 +H480 +Q2 -A0.0 -J0.0 +FC +UA +KFI0001 +KFF1800
The output should be a series of 1,800 TGA frames for a 60-second animation.
But unless your workstation has unlimited memory, you will never be able to
render anywhere near 1,800 frames in one pass... POV-Ray will eventually
konk out with the following parse error:

image_pattern {tga "imagefile.tga" <----ERROR
Parse Error: Out of memory.  Cannot allocate 1000 bytes for TGA image line.

// Begin file

global_settings {
    assumed_gamma 2.0
    max_trace_level 5
}

camera {
 location 50
 look_at 0
 angle 90
 right image_width/image_height*x
 up y
}

#declare Test_Texture = texture {
 image_pattern {tga "imagefile.tga" map_type 2}
 texture_map {
     [0.0000 pigment {color rgb <1,0,0>} finish {ambient 1}]
     [1.0000 pigment {color rgb <0,0,1>} finish {ambient 1}]
 }
 scale 50
 rotate <90,0,-90>
}

cylinder {z*25,z*-25,10 texture {Test_Texture} rotate
<-frame_number,frame_number,frame_number/2>}

// End of file