POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Starr Rose (spherical product realization) (48 k ) : Re: Starr Rose (spherical product realization) - flowers (107 k ) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:27:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Starr Rose (spherical product realization) - flowers (107 k )
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 31 Oct 2003 15:09:49
Message: <3fa2c18d@news.povray.org>
Darren Hewson wrote:

> Well, I cheated a little, three of them are multiple copies of the mesh just
> rotated and scaled to give extra petals (the red flower top right is three
> copies of your original each rotated and scaled slightly), one of them is
> two different meshes csg'd together. I did use different values of A, B and
> C for three of the flowers, though there is probably a lot more exploring to
> be done (like I said I know diddly about the math) and maybe you can get a
> lot of different flowers this way.
>
> I can post the surce if you want it.

Of course, now I see it.  Thanks.  I've been going crazy trying to do
this by changing A, B, and C, and adding a "+sin(D*v)/E" or whatever in
just about every conceivable place and combination.  (Mike Williams has
some great pointers on how to modify and combine functions in his
isosurface tutorial, but none of them were quite getting what you had.)
  As you say, I did come up with some interesting other "flowers," but
nothing very realistic.  Simple solutions usually elude me (as do
difficult ones, but I don't mind those so much.)

Thanks again

Dave Matthews