POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Prism. : Re: Prism. A photons artifact? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:30:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prism. A photons artifact?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 28 Oct 2003 17:04:23
Message: <3f9ee7e7@news.povray.org>
"Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> "Tim Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message
> > I have two separate prisms; the one that's doing the refracting
> > has no_image 'cuz it takes forever to render otherwise, the
> > one that's visible is a cheapo materialed copy in front of that
> > to be a visible prism.
>
> Hmmm, interesting. Well, could it be the global settings max_trace_level
> needing to be higher than the default of 5 surfaces?

I should have also said global settings *photons* block max_trace_level too,
I guess, but I'm thinking it has nothing to do with the problem.

Anyway, reason I'm back replying to myself here is that I thought I had
stumbled upon the reason I was either seeing or not seeing the same artifact
you had gotten. Then it turned out *not* to be the answer, which was using
photon blocks in the lights, versus not using them and letting defaults
work.

Fact is, I see the same artifact now after having made several changes in
the camera, lights, prism shape, etc. I'll certainly let you know if I find
out the exact reason for this happening, but it's slow going to test render
at a good size. And besides it's confounding me, making matters worse. That
other image I had shown before wasn't antialiased or retouched in any way,
just so you know.  :-)

Bob H.