POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Iso-Gate (74.2 K) : Re: Iso-Gate (74.2 K) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iso-Gate (74.2 K)
From: St
Date: 25 Oct 2003 03:00:33
Message: <3f9a1f91@news.povray.org>
"Dave Matthews" <dma### [at] nospamnet> wrote in message

> And now I'm sitting here thinking:  "How do you brace up an iron
gate?
> How is metal hardware attached to brick?  Should it be screwed
straight
> in?  Why didn't I take shop classes in school?"

    Heh... I know what you mean. I think for heavy iron gates they put
the hinge in between the bricks, whereas yours are actually in the
bricks themselves.

> And the more I try to model something, the more amazed I am at the
> detailed work many POVRay users do.

   Oh yes, me too.

> The original purpose for making the gate was to think about why it
is
> nice to apply warps directly to isosurfaces rather than by
> adding/multiplying/composing with warped patterns, and the two
reasons I
> came up with were "repeat" warp and "black_hole" warp, both of which
> effects could probably be achieved by other means, but it seems so
> straight forward to apply them directly to a function.

    I haven't tried any of these yet, so I must give it a go.

> Thanks for your comments.  (Do you think there could be a market for
> laser cutting patterns like this?)

   Yeah, sure. People love their iron gates! I would say nice celtic
patterns would sell well too. There's some laser-cut and plasma-cut
gates here:

    http://www.osdsteel.com/gates.htm

   ~Steve~