POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Iso-Gate (74.2 K) : Re: Iso-Gate (74.2 K) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iso-Gate (74.2 K)
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 24 Oct 2003 16:19:33
Message: <3f998955$1@news.povray.org>
In spite of the jokes about POVRay users getting lost in their own
worlds, I find myself being far more observant of little day-to-day
things now that I'm trying to model stuff.  Like the hinges and latches.

I sit down to make a gate, and then it hits me:  "I don't know how a
gate is attached to a wall!"

And now I'm sitting here thinking:  "How do you brace up an iron gate?
How is metal hardware attached to brick?  Should it be screwed straight
in?  Why didn't I take shop classes in school?"

And the more I try to model something, the more amazed I am at the
detailed work many POVRay users do.

The original purpose for making the gate was to think about why it is
nice to apply warps directly to isosurfaces rather than by
adding/multiplying/composing with warped patterns, and the two reasons I
came up with were "repeat" warp and "black_hole" warp, both of which
effects could probably be achieved by other means, but it seems so
straight forward to apply them directly to a function.

Thanks for your comments.  (Do you think there could be a market for
laser cutting patterns like this?)

Dave Matthews