POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : "Simulated" spotlights question : Re: "Simulated" spotlights question Server Time
26 Jun 2024 05:00:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Simulated" spotlights question
From: Tim Cook
Date: 20 Oct 2003 12:37:57
Message: <3f940f65$1@news.povray.org>
Kman wrote:
> BTW, I know this issue has been "addressed" by "area" lights with "jittered"
> shadows, or whatever the term is... but that seems so "fake" to me -
> shouldn't ray-tracing be able to more accurately simulate "real-life" light
> behavior? Shouldn't I be able to model the components of a real-world
> spotlight and have it behave the same way? Why is this not working?

It isn't working because "real-life" lights aren't discreet points; they
are areas.  The only way to make a "real" light source in POV is to
generate an area light by hand; e.g. build an array of point lights.
Exactly the same effect, except area lights with jittered sampling
produce a smoother effect in a lot less time.