POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Pool ball pyramid (was None :-) (MPG, 576KB) : Re: Pool ball pyramid (was None :-) (MPG, 576KB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 00:50:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pool ball pyramid (was None :-) (MPG, 576KB)
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 19 Oct 2003 17:03:33
Message: <3f92fc25@news.povray.org>
> 55 pool balls neatly stacked in the shape of a pyramid.  The pool balls

use
> them here for the fun of it.
>
> Was messing around with ball pyramids earlier and it revealed another bug
> in my code.  When lots of balls were stacked, the system was getting
> jittery and the balls appeared nervous.  I'm pretty sure I've fixed that
> now.  The pool balls are 57 mm in diameter and the gravity is good, but I
> think the ball to ball friction coefficient is more than it should be in
> this case.  But it keeps the pyramid alive for a tiny bit longer :-).
>
> Hope I'm not boring people or wasting space on this server with my tests.
> They amuse me, so I figure they may amuse others.

Hey, that's neat!

Mmm... the rotation doesn't quite seem right though... I can see at least
one ball rotating in the opposite direction to the way it's rolling...
(Well, I suppose it might be possible on ice ;-)

I haven't been on this board much for the past few months, but this is
definitely an interesting simulation; it appears to address problems that
I'm currently puzzling over... Nice to know they're solvable.

Thanks.
Andrew.