POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Balls collection (61k) - Contributions needed : Re: Fix for Rear-Wall + (11k) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fix for Rear-Wall + (11k)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 17 Oct 2003 11:04:58
Message: <3f90051a$1@news.povray.org>
> Concerning radiosity settings, they're more or less "random" since I do
> not really understand them and get them from some file I have, so I'm
> open to any sugestions (and already raised the nearest_count).

I'm not an expert, but there should be faster settings which might suffice.
Regarding the distributed rendering: we should wait and see how the final
image is composed. Maybe it is possible, maybe it isn't. In any case, there
should be means of using load/save radiosity for individual sections. I'll
experiment with that.

> Thanks for all your help and advices.

No problem. Another thing I noticed: due to lighting angle, the current
objects don't really require photons. There is a caustics-effect with the
water-sphere, and some minor lighting effects with the reflection of the
blurred sphere, but they aren't that obvious. Unless some object really
calls for attention when not using photons, you might want to leave them
out.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: tim.nikias (@) gmx.de

> The golf ball is posted in the new corrected version 2.
> You're absolutely right about the two pass rendering, especially when
> there is transparency and reflection (they can be shut down during the
> first pass, right ?).
> Concerning divided rendering, I don't see what could be interaction
> between boxes since objects are fully within a box. If I tell povray to
> render only top-left box (by specifying what image part to render), will
> that be wrong in term of radiosity interaction ?
>
> Concerning radiosity settings, they're more or less "random" since I do
> not really understand them and get them from some file I have, so I'm
> open to any sugestions (and already raised the nearest_count).
>

>  > PS: You might have noticed that I'm pretty enthused with this
> image... :-)
>
> I sort of noticed :)
> Thanks for all your help and advices.
>

> Nico
>
> Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> > You're using radiosity. Unless someone prerenders the scene and saves
the
> > radiosity data, which the others can load, there is light interaction
> > between subparts. For a final render I'd suggest the two-pass radiosity
> > method the newsgroups cooked up at some point anyway, so divided
rendering
> > should be possible then. You can find more information on that two-pass
> > method on my website, within my Past-Projects-Section, entitled "Indoor
> > Radiosity Experiments". I've made use of that technique for my Gerberas
> > Image as well, so you'll find information on that in there as well.
> >
> > I've also noticed that your radiosity settings are somewhat queer, e.g.
> > nearest_count set to 1. Why is that? I raised nearest_count to 8, cause
> > otherwise it gave me ugly artifact with photons. Once the image is
ready,
> > I'll post it.
> >
> > Care to post the Golf-Ball? Maybe I could have do some experiments with
it.

> > Regards,
> > Tim

---