POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Balls collection (61k) - Contributions needed : Re: Fix for Rear-Wall + (11k) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fix for Rear-Wall + (11k)
From: Nico
Date: 17 Oct 2003 05:46:22
Message: <3f8fba6e@news.povray.org>
Thanks, I updated the code and will repost into p.b.s-f with the new
candle code. I made the golf ball and tried to use your ESR macro to
generate 492 evenly ditributed points but it's taking quite a very long
time so I had to use an external C program I found. The problem is now
that a sphere with 492 differenced objects seems to be very long to
render (I think it is explained on "Mike's Little Web Page"), and it's
even worse than that because I planned to use 13 of them... (see
attached image).

Nico

Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> I've looked into your code to properly test the candle in the actual
> environment, and this is what I've found: you forgotten to move the plank by
> z*plank_thickness in the end. The thickness points towards the camera and
> thus extends from z=2.5 towards z=2.1, so I've just added plank_thickness in
> the last translation. Below is the code, you can easily spot the difference
> from your to my version:
>

> // Rear plank
> object {
>   IW_Plank_RoundW  (
>     17,
>     (box_nx*box_x+(box_nx+1)*plank_thickness), plank_thickness,
> box_ny*box_y+(box_ny+1)*plank_thickness,
>     2, 0, 0.05, 0.0035,
>     pigment { P_IW_10 color_map {CM_IW} scale 5} , Fin_W_02 , No_Normal, 2
>   )
>   rotate x*-90
>   translate -x*(box_nx*box_x+(box_nx+1)*plank_thickness)/2
>   translate z*(box_z+plank_thickness) //  <= Updated here
> }
>
> Attached is the small snippet showing the candle from a 500x500 render with
> only the candle traced. Required about 5 minutes on my 2.4Ghz XP+ and
> shouldn't affect the rendering times of the others boxes as the lightsource
> of the candle is pretty much contained in the box.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: