POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Text bug? : Re: Text bug? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Text bug?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 17 Oct 2003 05:07:17
Message: <3f8fb145@news.povray.org>
"Chris Johnson" <chr### [at] chris-jcouk> wrote in message
> I wonder if this is the same bug that I get when making intersections of
> text. Mine are in a normal scene - i.e. not at extreme distances or zooms.

Chris, it could be the font at fault, in this case anyway. I checked on this
intersecting text problem using arial, timrom, times, lucon, bkant, and a
couple other true type fonts, and they were okay. What's the name of the
font you are using, please?

The adverse effects of extremely scaled scenes are probably not going to be
overcome by any other way than to shift the scale up or down, depending on
the parts needed to be seen at the moment. Perhaps a union of the entire
thing (minus camera) with a variable scale factor would work, unless a very
remote and large object (Sun) is involved. To get the camera set right just
"scale" its parameters accordingly.

It looks as though the text primitive might still have the old "epsilon"
troubles; whereas now, a sphere can remain stable at those scales (didn't in
previous versions). I think it tops out around one million units in version
3.5, used to be ten thousand. Would take someone knowing the program source
code to verify that because I just don't remember the specifics, and I don't
have it on hand just now so I can't take a quick look. My knowledge on the
subject is superficial anyhow.
--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com