POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Balls collection (61k) - Contributions needed : Re: SSS_Candle Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSS_Candle
From: Hughes, B
Date: 16 Oct 2003 17:00:26
Message: <3f8f06ea@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim.nikias (@) gmx.de> wrote in message
news:3f8ecfe7$1@news.povray.org...
> Update: A quick test revealed that the same occurs with difference spheres
> instead of smoothly blobbed "difference", so it ain't a precision problem
> with blobs. Hm.

I rendered within a sky_sphere, nothing else in the scene and it didn't have
the darker place on that near upper edge. Then I realized I hadn't used a
camera high enough above the candle and once I lowered it I saw it too.

Turns out that it can be made less obvious if intervals is raised some.
Well, the original dark place disappears. I know media method 3 is supposed
to auto-adjust that for you but nothing is perfect, and you had it at
intervals 1 so I figured that was a good place to start changing things
around.

The dark place was the inside curvature, near as I can tell, and it looks
like it might take an increase in samples, density, intervals or some
combination of those in order to help eliminate it. Actually, from what I've
seen by trying that here, I can still see the inner dimple through the outer
shell. Might take a lot of tweaking on those things to get it looking okay.

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com