POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : phase and bumps : Re: phase and bumps Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:08:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: phase and bumps
From: Hughes, B
Date: 15 Oct 2003 10:15:30
Message: <3f8d5682@news.povray.org>
"Steely" <Rob### [at] hamburgde> wrote in message
> when replacing "bumps" with "gradient" or "marble" or other patterns, I
can
> see the effect I expected, but with bumps there is only an effect in the
> background, near the horizon, and in the foreground happens nothing.
>
> What am I making wrong?

Nothing... except for using phase in the bumps normal instead of the
color_map. It's just that phase doesn't work some patterns at all; and for a
few others, not in normals. So you can still animate the colors, just not
the surface normal. Unless you use a different pattern, of course.

The background might be appearing to change a little due to pixel jitter,
perhaps.

See the documentation index, look for phase. Section 6.7.12.2 Frequency and
Phase tells about it.

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com