POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : warp function test images (76k and 28k) : Re: warp function test images (76k and 28k) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: warp function test images (76k and 28k)
From: David Burnett
Date: 12 Oct 2003 18:55:35
Message: <3f89dbe7@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> David Burnett wrote:
>> of the function, so for the example images its
>> equivalent to...
>>
>> f_crackle(x*f_bozo(x,y,z), y*f_bozo(x,y,z), z*f_bozo(x,y,z))
>>
>> [...]
>

> I don't think this is a very useful interpretation of a function as a
> warp, even if it leads to interesting results in this case.  The pattern
> gets scaled by the value of the function - to imagine how this
> influences a pattern seems quite difficult to me.
 > I think the most intuitive interpretation of a float function as a
 > warp  would be the gradient - like it is used in the type 1 displace
 >warp.

Well I'd said is about as obvious as a 1 octave turbulence warp :-)
which I guess it is when it comes down to it. The direction of
movement isn't random, it's the same direction as the current
point is from <0,0,0> but the distance traveled past the current
point is the result of the function.

I choose multiplication as I'd already used it in
planetGenesis a little Java 'heightfield' generator
I occasionally attempt to program and got some nice
results, and I wanted to see how they would look as
isosurfaces.

Anyway, now I've put the source out there, give it
a try, you'll get some fun results, and maybe grow
to like it.

Dave

I haven't looked at that