POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : blob2 : Re: blob2 patch now available Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:08:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blob2 patch now available
From: Anton Sherwood
Date: 10 Oct 2003 01:12:32
Message: <3f863fc0@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> Anton Sherwood <new### [at] ogrenu> wrote:

>>> ((6*r - 15)*r + 10)*r*r*r
>>
>> Why quintic?
>
> This function is used in several other places as well, such as the
> recent updates to Perlin noise. It's not something I came up with.

Ah.
I imagine that would have more constraints.

>> All we absolutely need is
>>	f(0) = 1
>>	f(1) = f'(1) = f''(1) = 0
>
> No, you also need f'(0) = f"(0) = 0

Why?  That point is never on the surface (unless, I guess, another
component with greater and opposite strength is in just the right place).

And shouldn't f''(0) be negative rather than zero?

We also want f'(t)<0 for 0<t<1, but that's almost automatic with a
polynomial of low degree that fits the other constraints.  ;)

 >> for which (1-r)^3 would do; were you also trying to fit
 >> the traditional curve?
 >
 > (1-r)^3 doesn't even remotely resemble the old-style curve. I wasn't
 > trying to "fit" it, but I did want something that was somewhat similar.

(1-rr)^3, then, and you get f'(0)=0 for free.  ;)

...It occurs to me that my remarks may seem hostile in tone.
Please be assured that it is none of my intent.

--
Anton Sherwood, http://www.ogre.nu/