POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Level Surfaces Using Media : Level Surfaces Using Media Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Level Surfaces Using Media
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 6 Oct 2003 18:21:55
Message: <3f81eb03@news.povray.org>
While waiting hours and hours for a nested collection of
semi-transparent isosurfaces to render, in order to show my Calculus
students what was meant by a family of surfaces (hyperboloids in this
case), it suddenly dawned on me that since I wasn't really concerned
with reflections, refractions, interactions or shadows, that this was
quite a bit of overkill, and that I could accomplish the same thing by
using a container filled with "emission" media, defined by a density
function representing my hyperboloids.  Besides being hundreds of times
faster, I could also choose a container suited to the surfaces in
question (in this example, a cylinder cut-off makes more natural-looking
hyperboloids.)

This "discovery" may not seem surprising to most POV users, but I hadn't
thought of it before, and it has led to some interesting new families of
surfaces, and new ways (for me) of portraying old ones.

The second image shows a media-drawn "X-Ray" level surface, along side
the isosurface, and below is its family of level surfaces.

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hyperboloids001.jpg' (40 KB) Download 'm&i_002.jpg' (34 KB)

Preview of image 'hyperboloids001.jpg'
hyperboloids001.jpg

Preview of image 'm&i_002.jpg'
m&i_002.jpg