POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Time to move on (144k jpeg) : Re: Time to move on (144k jpeg) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time to move on (144k jpeg)
Date: 1 Oct 2003 23:16:48
Message: <3f7b98a0@news.povray.org>
Hi Bill!

Looks good, but the lighting needs improvement: your sun is an
extended light source, so
 - no shadows of the bars carrying the planets should be visible
   on the desk
 - the disk below the sun (on the desk) should be free of shadows
 - the shadow of the book in the foreground should be very soft
 - more than a half sphere of the planets should be lit (esp. Venus)
 - where is the shadow of the desk on the ground/walls?

Probably the best solution for the lighting is radiosity, but I
haven't worked with that yet.

I also would like so see some indication of how the planets and
the sun are floating above their supports: magnetism? transparent
material? riding on air streaming out of nozzles below the planets? electrostatic
repulsion? magic?

On the desk, between the signs for Pisces and Aries, a rectangular
area looks less "dusty" than the rest of the desk. Is that the
intended meaning?

As a last point I suggest to drastically reduce the camera's angle.
At the moment this angle introduces distortions to the picture
(visible esp. at the painting) which are correct for a viewing
distance of only some centimeters, but look wrong for normal
viewing distances.

If you put it away for a while: not too long, please; I'd like to
see the next steps of its evolution!

   Sputnik