POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : The Worm's Mouth (MPG1, 148kb) : Re: The Worm's Mouth (MPG1, 148kb) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 03:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Worm's Mouth (MPG1, 148kb)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 28 Sep 2003 15:33:28
Message: <3f773788@news.povray.org>
The interpolation was linear, but it is planned to be enhanced with
different methods. As you mentioned, linear looks a little cut off, and I
sure don't want to look like an amateur in my first Short Movie! :-)

As for the lips looking too fixed: I've added that displacement-mapping,
moves the lips, regardless of the underlying spline, more in- or outwards,
in relation to the normal of the lips at that point. This should make some
cartoonish effects possible, but also enable that slight movement. Maybe
I'll add some other features for that as well, depends on which ideas I come
up with and how I can implement them on the underlying structure.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: tim.nikias (@) gmx.de

> This looks good - the only thing I would add (which should be fairly easy
compared to the splines)
> is to change the interpolation method by which the expressions are
morphed. Having linear
> interpolation makes it look as though the mouth is 'boucing' between
expressions, so perhaps cubic
> or cosine interpolation would be better.
>
> Alternatively, perhaps the mouth should move exponentially towards new
expressions:
> currentexpression = firstexpression*e^-nt + secondexpression*(1 - e^-nt)
> where t is time and n controls the speed of the fade.
>
> Perhaps also one further thing could be added - a slight and low frequency
variation of the
> parameters to avoid the lips looking too fixed when they are not actually
being animated.

> -Chris

---