POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Not a dodecahedron (wallpaper) : Re: Not a dodecahedron (wallpaper) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a dodecahedron (wallpaper)
From: Tek
Date: 25 Sep 2003 14:41:25
Message: <3f7336d5@news.povray.org>
> Cool idea, you used colored mirrors, didn't you ?

Yes I did.

> Did you try with a rounded tetrahedron ? That would give smoother
> transition from one plane to another ...

I thought the same thing, though I couldn't get the right effect. Simply
smoothing off the corners wouldn't work because the 2 bits of the dodecahedron
that nearly meet up are actually reflections in completely different directions
(any 2 mirrors in the tetrahedron are at an angle sharper than 90 degrees), so
smoothing between them would get a reflection of lots of other things between
the two.

So instead I replaced each face of the tetrahedron with a sphere, but after much
adjusting I couldn't line up the edges exactly. However I did stumble across
this much more interesting pattern (which is now my desktop wallpaper!) :)

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message