POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : [WIP] Cyborg close-up (17 kb) : Re: [WIP] Cyborg close-up (17 kb) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [WIP] Cyborg close-up (17 kb)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Sep 2003 09:54:04
Message: <3f70507c$1@news.povray.org>

news:3f6e8da0@news.povray.org...
> Tried PoseRay's displacement map, utterly perplexed by
> how to go about controlling it in any useful manner...

I guess that displacement map in Poseray is inherently limited by the
underlying geometry, i.e. it only displaces existing vertices and doesn't
create new ones on the fly by subdivision. The consequence is that it's not
possible to create a new feature by displacemnt at a place where there are
not enough vertices, or where the vertices are not arranged as they should.
The result may just look like an ugly lump, particularly with Poser models
that are no so detailed in the first place. I haven't tested this thoroughly
in Poseray, but I've seen that in UVMapper.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com