POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Most ambitious ever! : Re: Most ambitious ever! Server Time
8 Jul 2024 11:28:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most ambitious ever!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Sep 2003 09:08:04
Message: <3f7045b4@news.povray.org>
In article <3f6f853b@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>> I just tried using a codec listed as "Intel Indeo Video 4.5".
>
>   AFAIK that's not an MPEG-4 codec (nor any MPEG codec at all) and thus
> not a very good one.

Indeed, it is an Intel codec with a copyright 1994-1998 (thus it was last
updated 1998!) according to the About Box of the codec as it can be seen in
VirtualDub!

>> Then I tried using something called "Cinepack Codec by Radius".
>
>   That isn't either.

Indeed, a codec last updated 1995...

>> For reference, I appear to have the following codecs...
>> DivX 5.0.2 Codec
>
>   Then use that, as I suggested.

Alternatively, there are a bunch of ports of ffmpeg to various platforms and
systems (but do not use ffvfw, that is outdated!), even if he doesn't want
to compile it on Windows: <http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/index.org.html>

BTW, the MPEG-4 codecs that come with some versions of Windos should *not*
be used because they are also outdated and have nothing to do with the
actual MPEG-4 standard supported by modern media players ...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde