POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Half success with water (DivX 5.05, 274kb file) : Re: Half success with water (DivX 5.05, 274kb file) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 02:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Half success with water (DivX 5.05, 274kb file)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 22 Sep 2003 18:40:29
Message: <3f6f7a5d@news.povray.org>
Looks great! The waves seem to move towards
the lower of the screen, so they might even
work for a little stream of water. And interaction
with objects... If this would export to 2D-Grids
of positions to be parsed into meshes, then the
displacement could be layered over the data
from my LSSM, and voila! Great water effects!

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de

> I hope people have the DivX codec. I tried with mpg1 but it wasn't as
> effective in compressing these images.
>
> The experiment can be broken down to:
> 1) Generating waves
> 2) Having wind in a box, or maybe not...
>

> GENERATING WAVES:
>
> This is Christoph Hormann's code for realistic ocean waves. The catch is,
> made it into a map that tiles seamlessly. The water you see in this
> animation could fill a larger area simply by repeating the map. This is
> useful to save memory and rendering time. In this case the map is small
> (128*128 pixels) but that's because I didn't need more to fill the box.
>
> So it's not necessary anymore to use a slow isosurface, or a height_field
> with an insane resolution, to fill a lake or an ocean. Though, the ocean
is
> still going to need a whole lot of HF objects.
>
> There will be some visible repeats (although it's seamless it does degrade
> the quality) but with good settings, I don't think it's too bad.
>
> The waves also loop over time, as you may have noticed this animation
loops
> nicely. The purpose is that the map can be pre-rendered and used in
> animations with any length. This saves a lot of parsing-time too,
generating
> the maps.
>

> WIND IN A BOX:
>
> I'm not successful in simulating wind in a box. I also didn't implement
any
> interaction with the walls but I thought, it might not be necessary in
such
> a simple case. Turns out, it is necessary. As Christoph said, his code is
> not suited for small amounts of water. I just haven't found a good
> alternative.
>

> Regards,
> Hugo

---