POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Most ambitious ever! : Re: Most ambitious ever! Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:10:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most ambitious ever!
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 22 Sep 2003 15:23:20
Message: <3f6f4c28$1@news.povray.org>
> Andrew Coppin <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:
> > POV-Ray -> still frames (TARGA, 640x480, 24 bits/pixel, 25
frames/second)
> > still frames -> VirtualDub -> AVI (uncompressed, no sound yet)
> > AVI + WAV -> TMPGEnc -> MPEG-1, audio is layer-II at 192 kbits/second
>
>   Why would you use such an old and inefficient format as MPEG-1?

What else is there?

>   When you have the AVI, you can use VirtualDub to save it to another
> AVI but using whatever MPEG-4 codec you may have (DivX, for example).
> You will get a lot smaller file with better quality.

Not last time I tried it... Well, ok, *way* smaller file... but *terrible*
image quality.

>Also, as for sound,
> you can encode in mp3 format.

Yeah, I know that, but I'm wondering if that might affect the timing (and
hence mess up the synchronisation with the video). Anyway, once it is joined
to the video, it's up to what the combined format can handle... (The sound
is only 65MB anyway; not exactly huge, is it?)