POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Most ambitious ever! : Re: Most ambitious ever! Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:47:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most ambitious ever!
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 22 Sep 2003 15:19:10
Message: <3f6f4b2e$1@news.povray.org>
> Sorry but I only read halfway through your message

LOL - that's quite ok. (Can't believe I typed 8KB of text... man!)

> until it occurred to
> me that your problem is diskspace because you woant to use uncompressed
> AVI. I don't see why you would want that. VirtualDub can compile frames
> to better usable formats (compressed) and as far as I know it can also
> add sound from a WAV file. (I haven't tried that though, I wanted to add
> sound from a midi file to an animation and that it can't do).
> Perhaps I was missing the point, but what you're planning on doing
> should be possible without having to use 6GB files.

Yes, I believe VirtualDub can add the sound...

Clearly I've been trying the wrong codecs... Every one I try results in
extremly poor quality video. (Haven't tried DivX - I would imagine I don't
have the ability to encode, only decode. Haven't checked tho.) MPEG-I is a
very common, widely supported format, and it doesn't seem to mangle the
video too much. (The sound appears to be identical - kinda impressive. I'm
pretty sure it IS being compressed...)