POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Half success with water (DivX 5.05, 274kb file) : Half success with water (DivX 5.05, 274kb file) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 02:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Half success with water (DivX 5.05, 274kb file)
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 22 Sep 2003 10:37:28
Message: <3f6f0928@news.povray.org>
I hope people have the DivX codec. I tried with mpg1 but it wasn't as
effective in compressing these images.

The experiment can be broken down to:
1) Generating waves
2) Having wind in a box, or maybe not...

GENERATING WAVES:

This is Christoph Hormann's code for realistic ocean waves. The catch is, I
made it into a map that tiles seamlessly. The water you see in this
animation could fill a larger area simply by repeating the map. This is
useful to save memory and rendering time. In this case the map is small
(128*128 pixels) but that's because I didn't need more to fill the box.

So it's not necessary anymore to use a slow isosurface, or a height_field
with an insane resolution, to fill a lake or an ocean. Though, the ocean is
still going to need a whole lot of HF objects.

There will be some visible repeats (although it's seamless it does degrade
the quality) but with good settings, I don't think it's too bad.

The waves also loop over time, as you may have noticed this animation loops
nicely. The purpose is that the map can be pre-rendered and used in
animations with any length. This saves a lot of parsing-time too, generating
the maps.

WIND IN A BOX:

I'm not successful in simulating wind in a box. I also didn't implement any
interaction with the walls but I thought, it might not be necessary in such
a simple case. Turns out, it is necessary. As Christoph said, his code is
not suited for small amounts of water. I just haven't found a good
alternative.

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'CH_water-seamless.avi.dat' (274 KB)