POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray + Shaders : Re: POV-Ray + Shaders Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray + Shaders
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 22 Sep 2003 04:38:23
Message: <3f6eb4ff@news.povray.org>
> I think there's a lot of room for improvement in POV's
> lighting capabilities

Lets hear them ?

The most important thing I can think of is global illumination. It would be
nice, if it wouldn't flicker in animation, and needed recalculation only
where objects are moving, for example.

Then, there's the patches lying around from previous versions of POV, such
as the blinn highlighting model (a slight improvement over phong highlights)
and there's the extra features from MLpov that can be applied to finishes
(an easy way for specular/reflection maps) along with built-in blurred
reflection. Last but not least: The postprocessing features such as glow
filters.

Apart from this, I think it's a matter of practice. You can optain great
results with POV-Rays lighting capabilities already. Nothing less than
state-of-the-art. But as usually: Faster computers will help.

Regards,
Hugo