POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC WIP "Please keep It Blue" : Re: IRTC WIP "Please keep It Blue" Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC WIP "Please keep It Blue"
From: Marc Jacquier
Date: 18 Sep 2003 15:08:12
Message: <3f6a029c$1@news.povray.org>

3f69892f@news.povray.org...
> Hi,
>
> It's the first time I've seen someone trying to imitate foam with POV-Ray.
> The result is fairly convincing, except where the ship intersects with the
> water. A reference photo would be nice, but my guess is that the
heightfield
> is too smooth, and the foam is not transparant at all (should it be?) so
the
> ship doesn't look like it's IN the water.
I totally agree IRL, water interacts with the ship, waves hit the hull and
get higher, make spray, foam. , the stem generates a bow wave.
I am far from reality.
Water is an isosurface, here.
I'd like to make foam with a media but I've not found how.

> Why and where foam exists in the real-life ocean, I'm not sure.
>Probably on the edge of high waves?

I observed that  some sharp waves ridges fall over and bubbles make foam
that stays at the same place while wave keeps on its way so we can see foam
a the back of the waves.

>The foam in your picture seems to be randomly
> located,
True, I do not know  yet how to do better
.
 >except around the ship (I suspect you used a bitmap for this).

True too :-)

>But this isn't too much of a problem I think.. Perhaps it would look better
when
> rendered with a bit of focal_blur, especially to smooth out the horizon.

With a lower camera you'd only see foam on high waves :)

> Generally, as I said before, I really like the water surface and material.
>
> Regards,
> Hugo

Thank you for your comments, I keep your advices in mind

Regards

Marc