POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Infinite Menger ( mpg 318 kbu ) : Re: Infinite Menger ( mpg 318 kbu ) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 03:29:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite Menger ( mpg 318 kbu )
From: Rune
Date: 16 Sep 2003 20:14:14
Message: <3f67a756$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> This is mesmerizing. Awesome work there!

Thanks! :)

> It does look like the tiny sections get squished
> together as they get smaller and smaller. Do they?

No...

> And how did you achieve the effect overall?
> Whats the special trick? You're not using
> thousands of tiny objects, right?

Well yeah, thousands, but not millions.

Basically, I have the menger at a certain recursion level (only 3), but
with one block left out. This empty space I fill with a smaller version
of the menger itself. And the empty space in the smaller menger I fill
with an even smaller one etc. This way, I can reach a localized
recursion level of about 10 by using just 6 copies of the same 3-level
menger. (No particular reason for the number 6 - I should have used 7 or
8 actually, as you can spot the smallest copy disappear when the
animation loops if you look closely.)

Making the camera motion loop correctly and smoothly also was a tricky
part... But it all comes down to exponential functions.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com **updated Jul 25**