POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height Field from map Comparison : Re: POV wins it, IMO. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV wins it, IMO.
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 12 Sep 2003 07:33:35
Message: <3f61af0f@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I have no problem with letting POV win! But I'm a little confused when you
say "all of the vertices are evenly spaced". I thought the idea was to
reduce the number of vertices with an adaptive method like Max offers. But
perhaps your goal was to remove the stepping artifacts. I can imagine after
that, the grid does not have to be so dense. At least in this particular
example. But what about HF's with greater variation in detail? (some areas
with lots of detail)  I'm not sure how well these would be preserved in Max
either, if I have to remove noise & artifacts at the same time.

I'm impressed if your version contains roughly the same amount of vertices
as mine. There are more details left in yours, and it's an advantage with a
mountain-like HF like this. Can we get a version without normals?

Great work.
Hugo