POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : First post (~200k mpeg1) : Re: First post (~200k mpeg1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 03:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First post (~200k mpeg1)
From: Michael B
Date: 11 Sep 2003 07:55:24
Message: <3f6062ac@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the comments. Each particle has an initial angle/velocity and the
path is calculated using general projectile motion equations. For every
1000th of a frame trace() is used to see whether there is a collision with
the ground and if so a new angle/velocity is calculated. I've only really
played with a few particles at once, but parse times were around a second
per frame (on athlon 1800+). No doubt if you reduced the number of calls to
trace to 100 per frame, things would be much faster. Hopefuly when I get the
thing finished it'll be able to model the motion of spheres bouncing off any
object types with proper friction/air resistence. If I am really keen maybe
not just spheres...then again maybe not :)

From
Michael B.

"Tim Nikias v2.0" <no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de> wrote in message
> Nice one. Bowling ball as reflective sphere, good
> idea!
>
> How does you system work? How long are parsing
> times for lots of particles, etc? And what will it later
> be capable of (once its finished and all planned features
> implemented)?
>
> --
> Tim Nikias v2.0
> Homepage: http://www.digitaltwilight.de/no_lights
> Email: no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de
>

> > Just the beginnings of a little particle system, although nowhere near
as
> > advanced as some of the great ones out there already. I hope the
checkered