POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : glass objects : Re: glass objects Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: glass objects
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 11 Sep 2003 07:43:10
Message: <3f605fce@news.povray.org>
Perhaps you'd might want to play a little with
the settings for fade_power. It might also help
to play with the reflection-values, and using
falloff instead of fresnel. Its more artistic than
realistic, but this scene just calls for more
artistic handling!

Regarding the sky_sphere:
You have to use the image_map pigment to
map it onto the sphere, and if I'm not mistaken,
its map_type 2 for spherical (you might want to
look that one up though).
To grasp the idea of spherical mapping:
the entire line on the top of the image is actually
placed onto the very top-center of the sphere,
much like the north-pole is stretched out across
the entire image when looking at image-maps
for the earth.
The center horizontal line then wraps around the
equator of the sphere, and the bottom line once
again gets squished into the south pole.

Once you've made some larger adjustments, why
not post it again? Don't make too many posts of
miniscule adjustments though, just now and then
the big ones, and for specific questions.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de

> Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> >Nice colors. Several suggestions:
> >1. If you're not already using it, try variable reflection.
>
> I will try, i am still learning.
>
> >2. A more detailed skysphere with nice clouds would
> >be good. Slime posted a link to some image-maps
> >recently in povray.general.
>
> Yes, I was thinking about this, and downloaded some of them. But I still
> don't
> know how exactly to use sky_sphere with  image-maps properly.
>
> >3. The Photons-Effect isn't that visible, so unless the
> >scene changes to something more dramatic (with
> >scattering fog or such), you might want to try and
> >drop it to see if it has that great an impact on the image.
>
> The photons create the caustics for each glass object. I have to limit the
> total number of photons to speed up rendering. With no photons the
rendering
> time is an order of magnitude smaller.
>
> >4. Do you either use absorption or fade_power in
> >the interior of the glass-objects? That might give
> >them some more depth.
>
> No, i will try.
>
> >5. Scatter some more spheres around. You can see
> >them in the reflections, and it looks almost like the
> >only sphere present are those already visible.
> >
> >Finally: why 30 hours?
> >

> The photons increase the rendering times. Probably if I play with
parameters
> it will speed up.
>
> >Tim Nikias v2.0
> >Homepage: http://www.digitaltwilight.de/no_lights
> >Email: no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de
> >

> >> Here I make some glass objects. If anybody can comment the image.
> >> [P750, 30h,  photons, no FB]
> >>

> >---

---