POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: POV People at a rock concert (round 2) : Re: POV People at a rock concert (round 2) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV People at a rock concert (round 2)
From: Martin Magnusson
Date: 10 Sep 2003 02:33:15
Message: <3f5ec5ab$1@news.povray.org>
HenryW wrote:
> My biggest problem now is memory, I've got 448MB of RAM and the scene has
> just over 200000 objects. What I really want to do is add people up in the
> upper levels of the stadium, around 50000 people all together, but I'm
> going to need a lot more RAM for that ;-)

Actually, since the people are going to be packed tightly together, you
may not even need separate objects for them. A hightfield or something
similar could do the trick. At least if the camera isn't going to be
closer to the crowd than it is now. And if it is, you could try having
the closest people made separately, and the rest as a heightfield. Or do
a couple of mesh2 people and copy them all over the place. That should
save a lot of memory.

/ martin