POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Curiosity : Re: A Curiosity Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Curiosity
From: gonzo
Date: 10 Sep 2003 01:42:31
Message: <3f5eb9c7@news.povray.org>
Jettero Heller <pov### [at] voltar-confedorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] corkyvoltar-confedorg...
> Yeah, I was hoping poser would export a mesh that would interact
> with my scene.  For instance, could the elf in the picture --
> without hair if I'm hearing you right -- cast a shadow on some
> pov-jects I'm working on?

Yes, a poser mesh is a fully 3d object like any other imported mesh. The
biggest issue I find with poser (besides its less-than-intuitive interface)
is textures, and as already mentioned, hair.  Stock poser textures tend to
be flat and IMO rarely look good except in poser. When I use poser models in
POV I always make my own textures. Kozaburo's transparency mapped hair that
Mike mentioned is the best option.

Like any other 3d app, there is a learning curve. Humans are a difficult and
complex subject to model, and even though poser simplifies it, there are a
lot of parameters to tweak to get a realistic figure.   If you take the time
to learn it, you can get some pretty good results without spending buckets o
cash on Daz models, but if you need something good in a hurry then Daz is
probably the best (only?) source.

RG