POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height Field from map Comparison : Height Field from map Comparison Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Height Field from map Comparison
From: Shay
Date: 9 Sep 2003 14:17:41
Message: <3f5e1945@news.povray.org>
I've been busy with IRTC voting the last week or so, but I'm still very
interested in doing this. Hugo, If you'd still like to compare, I have
attached a height map which I have adapted from something I found on the
web. I have also attached an image of how that map would look as a
standard height field at infinityXinfinity resolution. As you can see,
there is some good shape there, but a lot of need for smoothing. Let me
know if you would still like to compare a few techniques. I have found
that mine still needs a little further development due to precision
problems causing trouble when refining steep areas. I should have that
taken care of by the end of this week, however.

If anyone else has a technique which might help, I would like to see
your results as well. The point is to make a large height field from
this small image map, so enlarging and smoothing the map is not allowed.
Here's the scene file I used for this demo to show contrast, the light
source will need to be adjusted to best show our nice looking results.
The height field I am positioning here fits in a box from <0,0,0> to
<1,1,1>

my_heightfield {
    pigment {rgb 1} translate <-.5, -.5, -.5> rotate y*135 }
background { rgb <1,1,1> }
camera { location <0.1,1,-1> look_at <0,0,-.08> }
light_source { <-40,180,2.5> color rgb 1 }

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'full_resolution_hf.jpg' (38 KB) Download 'hf_map.jpg' (9 KB)

Preview of image 'full_resolution_hf.jpg'
full_resolution_hf.jpg

Preview of image 'hf_map.jpg'
hf_map.jpg