POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Sky City : WIP: Sky City Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  WIP: Sky City
From: Slime
Date: 2 Sep 2003 00:20:27
Message: <3f541a8b@news.povray.org>
This is partially inspired by the cover of the Final Fantasy 1 booklet, and
partially by The Empire Strikes Back. At first I was just trying to make
cool clouds, but the image needed a subject, so I added the city.

This is the image I was talking about in povray.general ("media interaction
problem"). The clouds completely surround the city, so they were slowing
down area light calculations. Putting a sphere tightly around the city and
using projected_through with it helped a lot.

The clouds are created with a self-generated DF3 and are nearly done,
although they obviously need higher sampling parameters. The ground
(dirt/rock thing) is complete; it was modelled in Wings3D (which has gotten
a lot cooler since I last downloaded it) and textured in POV-Ray. The large
area lights really helped out with it; I originally tried radiosity but that
was both slower and less successful at creating the effect I wanted. The
city itself is still being worked on; I've created a macro to generate it,
and I mostly need to improve the models which it's based off of.

Any comments/critiques are welcome.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message