POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Horizon [187kb] : Re: Horizon [187kb] Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Horizon [187kb]
Date: 1 Sep 2003 21:09:40
Message: <3f53edd4$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Darren,

this looks very good! Esp. the colors, the sky and the shadows on the
path are really a big improvement.
I've only one major and some minor suggestions:

=  We are looking at the unlit side of the trees and the grey wooden
   posts, so they should be much darker (and perhaps a little bit
   rougher?) The dark parts of the rightmost tree look right to me.

-  Some of the white stones on the path seem to float slightly above
   the ground. Unfortunately I neither know the reason for this (mis-)
   perception nor what can be done against it.

-  The ploughed fields should show parallel strikes/groves from the
   ploughing and should be clearly separated from the unploughed areas
   between the path and the fields. I suggest to add short grass to
   the unploughed areas on the left side (or simply make them green as
   in your first post) and a somewhat larger groove for separation.
   The right side looks O.K. because the grass is hiding the border
   between ploughed and unploughed areas.

-  I wonder if the grass would look even more convincing if the blades
   were less wide, but there were more of them; for example half the
   width, but twice the number (at least for the grass in the fore-
   ground).

-  There seems to be a very abrupt change of slope from the uphill part
   of the path to the (invisible) downhill part. I would expect the path
   to be more horizontal near its peak.

-  The ground between path and wooden post (see attached image) should
   have the color of the path, not the color of the fields.

-  I liked the old stone more. The position at the right side is better,
   but the stone should not stand on the path (else add some strikes
   from cars scratching along it! :D ) Maybe the old stone with the new
   stone as inlay on its tilted top looks good.

As said above: great image, only minor nit-picking suggestions.

   Sputnik

P.S. As I have 2 monitors available here (1152*864 each), I would like
     to have a special version of your final scene: 864 pixels high,
     2570 pixels wide; containing ploughed fields in the first 1152
     pixels (for the icons on the left monitor), more ploughed fields
     in the middle 266 pixels (for the gap between the monitors; I
     would cut away this, but it must be present in the image for
     correct perspective), then your current scene in the 1152 pixels
     for the right monitor. 1152:266:1152 = 32.5cm (left monitor) :
     7.5cm (gap) : 32.5cm (right monitor). Of course I would do it
     myself if the code is available ...
     A more universal approach would be to make an approx. 2700*864
     picture with your current scene in the rightmost 1152 pixels.
     This can be cropped to fit many different arrangements of moni-
     tors.

--

fr### [at] computermuseumfh-kielde

Post a reply to this message