POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Recursive Spheres... : Recursive Spheres... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Recursive Spheres...
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 31 Aug 2003 02:53:54
Message: <3f519b82@news.povray.org>
Hi all!
After seeing all those Menger Sponges that had
been posted while I was gone, I wanted to
have a go at recursive objects myself.

So, I went for a sphere.
Using Electrostatic-Repulsion, I calculated
30 evenly spaced points on a sphere. Then,
I begin with one sphere, and subdivide that
into 30. These get subdivided into another
30, and then another 30.

Rendering time was 5.5 hours on my
AthlonXP 2400+, with 925 Peak Memory
(so there was a lot of Disc-Swapping involved
overnight...)

Somehow, the recursive structure isn't as
cleary visible (perhaps because I've chosen
the wrong viewing perspective, the next go
with better texture will see the entire object),
but I still like the complexity of it.

Spheres and cones, all of it, summing a total
of 1.675.861 objects in scene. Lit with
one arealight, and a shadowless fill and back
light.

Comments and suggestions appreciated!
(No, I wont use Radiosity for this ;-)

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

---

Attachments:
Download 'recursive_sphere.jpg' (103 KB)

Preview of image 'recursive_sphere.jpg'
recursive_sphere.jpg