POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : a modeler : Re: a modeler Server Time
4 May 2024 12:10:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a modeler
From: Ricky Reusser
Date: 30 Aug 2003 22:12:34
Message: <3f515992@news.povray.org>
Speak of the devil.  KDE--a great window server for xfree86.  I just got my
new powerbook G4 a couple days ago and now have a FAST connection.  I'm
actually typing this in KNode, a KDE newsreader that runs within the whole
X11 thing.  You can download parts of KDE and spare yourself from the full
171Mb download (it only took me nine minutes).  All you have to do is get
Fink installed, then type 'sudo fink apt-get install bundle-kde'. (or 'sudo
fink list' if you just want so see what's there for kde.)  You also have to
type 'sudo fink info bundle-kde' or something like that to get the full
setup instructions -- just search the web for kde mac os x if it doesn't
work.  Finally, don't forget to go to control center -> Desktop -> Behavior
in order to disable icons on the desktop and make it run alongside Mac OS
X.

Now to the point.  It has a whole plethera of programs available from Word
and Excel clones (KWord and KSpread -- which actually open Word and Excel
documents) to games.  Under graphics though, I was shocked to see a POV-Ray
modeler there.  I haven't really tried it out too much yet and can't make
any promises of a great modeler, but it's there and has support for all
kinds of features and can even import files.  You can get a
top-front-rightside view next to a perspective view and do all kinds of
stuff.  It sure doesn't look like one of those modelers that will let you
add a cube and a sphere with support for cylinders coming soon!  Hope it
works well!

 - Ricky