POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cornell's box; MegaPOV vs. WinOSi : Re: Cornell's box; MegaPOV vs. WinOSi Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cornell's box; MegaPOV vs. WinOSi
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 30 Aug 2003 17:39:39
Message: <3f51199b$1@news.povray.org>
> How many photons are you using?

Very few. They are shot during render pass 1. All lights but one has been
removed from this pass, to speed up photon calculation there is only one,
strong light at the lit plate on the ceiling.

During pass 2 (radiosity calculation) there are a grid of 4*4 area_lights at
the ceiling, to fill the room with something that resembles the physical
dimension of the lit plate. All of these lights are weak but together they
generate as much light as pass 1. However this grid of weak lights would
generate splotchy photons (no matter what I do) not to mention slow down the
process. So photons are turned off here.

Pass 3 combines the precalculated photons and radiosity, with high quality
AA, and turns on most reflections including blurred reflections on the
floor.

> I tried to add photons, but can't find a
> good spacing to get rid of the splotches.

To be precise, it's:

photons {
   spacing 0.01
   autostop 0
}

And the scene geometry is small. The overall bounding box is circa 4*4
units.

Regards,
Hugo