POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cornell's box; MegaPOV vs. WinOSi : Re: Cornell's box; MegaPOV vs. WinOSi Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cornell's box; MegaPOV vs. WinOSi
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 30 Aug 2003 14:13:29
Message: <3f50e949@news.povray.org>
> how sometimes the same scene was nicely rendered,
> but the light on the ceiling was heavily aliased?
> What's up with that?

Yes, it's bad anti aliasing. It's because, when the lit plate is acting as a
true light source, that illuminates the entire room, it has to be very
bright. Much brighter than what you can see on a computer monitor / TV. So
the brightness is clipped on screen, but not in the calculation. Their
anti-aliasing doesn't take this into account. In POV-Ray, this IS taken into
account... Unless you use focal blur (that, when activated it replaces AA).

Actually, in this case I didn't use the lit plate as true source of
illumination. It's too small for that, and would require much higher
radiosity settings. I remove this plate
completely during radiosity calculation (the second pass) to avoid signs of
splotcy patches.

..More info available upon request.

Regards,
Hugo