POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cornell's box; MegaPOV vs. WinOSi : Cornell's box; MegaPOV vs. WinOSi Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Cornell's box; MegaPOV vs. WinOSi
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 30 Aug 2003 08:39:52
Message: <3f509b18@news.povray.org>
The battle takes place in a Cornell type of box. These reveal how good a
renderer simulates reality. There is nothing fancy about textures here, but
you get to see soft shadows, caustics, specular reflection and refraction,
diffuse indirect illumination with color bleeding, and anti-aliasing.

The attached picture is a 3-pass rendering in MegaPOV1.0. The 3 passes
combined takes roughly 24 minutes on AMD 1.4 GHz.. My motivation is to
demonstrate modern POV-Ray. I found this page yesterday that I think is
quite interesting: http://www.winosi.onlinehome.de/

If you browse to the gallery, you'll see the same scene as mine, rendered
with different softwares. The homepage also demonstrates "WinOSi" that is an
interesting renderer. Very slow, but very realistic.

My scene is not pure global illumination such as WinOSi, but an attempt to
balance all the available variables. Anyway, we're not throwing the exact
same variables into all renderers and expect the optimal output. But I
haven't changed the scene in any major way.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message