POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A bad height-field (first binary post. pliz tell if wrong) : Re: yes Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:29:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yes
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 29 Aug 2003 03:56:51
Message: <3f4f0743@news.povray.org>
Anton Sherwood wrote:
> Ah!  Is that what Surface Evolver does?
> http://www.susqu.edu/facstaff/b/brakke/evolver/evolver.html

I don't think so. The surface evolver is an interesting and highly
mathematical application. But I've never tried to use it, because I'm not
that "mathematic minded". It seems though, it evolves a surface (or you
could say: it refines a simple surface) based on data that is supposed to
simulate real-life behaviour of liquids, and possibly other things.

Subdivision on the other hand, does not try to simulate physics. It's used
in many artistic modelling applications to smoothen edges on any surface.
You can get an overview of the formulas:
http://www.ke.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/xuz/mid-subdivision.html

...And eventually you can search on www.google.com for more information
about the behaviour of specific formulas. That is, supposed you are
mathematically minded.

Where subdivision adds triangles, decimation takes them away. That's another
story. It may appear like the opposite is happening. Triangle decimation
scans a surface and removes triangles that lack importance to the overall
shape. There are also different formulas for this purpose... But it doesn't
seem like the "surface evoler" you pointed me to, has this feature.

:o)
Regards,
Hugo