POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seascape II -- Thanks (~50k) : Re: Seascape II -- Thanks (~50k) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seascape II -- Thanks (~50k)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 28 Aug 2003 06:51:30
Message: <3f4ddeb2$1@news.povray.org>
> -[if he's after waves rising in height and crashing onto the shores...,
> thats not possible]-
> Just being a pedant here :)
 SNIP

Yeah, what I meant is that it is not sufficiently possible
with just heightfields, and surely not possible with my
LSSM. The Paper you're referring to is quiet complex
and would probably be too slow for POV-SDL to
actually attempt to script it. Though I don't know if
someone might have attempted an "outside" implementation
in C++.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

> -[if he's after waves rising in height and crashing onto the shores...,
> thats not possible]-
> Just being a pedant here :)
> This sort of thing _has_ been simulated before (though clearly not with a
> heightfield, if thats what you meant), but its fairly complex stuff...
There
> are some fairly modern algorithms which cope with a completely arbitrary
> water/air interface surface, so things like splashes and drips can be done
> with the same algorithms as waves on large bodies of water.
>
> http://graphics.stanford.edu/~fedkiw/papers/stanford2001-02.pdf
> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~fostern/pdfs/gmip96.pdf
>
> This paper:
> http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/water-sg02/water.pdf
>
> deals specifically with the problem in this image - realistic breaking
waves
> on a beach, among other things. When I see things like the attached image
in
> a paper on computer grapics, I wonder why I bother with my own crude
little
> Pov-Ray macros :)
>
> -Chris

---