POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : first post (not 1st image) - cgnbanner2.png (1/4) : Re: first post (not 1st image) - cgnbanner2.png (1/4) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: first post (not 1st image) - cgnbanner2.png (1/4)
From: Hughes, B
Date: 27 Aug 2003 11:07:26
Message: <3f4cc92e@news.povray.org>
"Matthew Pace" <mat### [at] lycoscom> wrote in message
news:mat### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> hmmm, dunno why it did that, looks like it lost some quality too, ignore
> that one, ill post again in a bit

Ack! Too late, I decoded it and looked. This was like an example of the
recent argument against using PNG's, large Jpeg's and such, being just a
work in progress.

You apparently have your newsreader set to break files into parts. Seems to
be NewsWatcher on OS X there so I couldn't be of any help with it, but I
doubt encoding a png file loses quality unless there were a resave with
optional compression methods.

Hmmm, I looked up a online manual for that newsreader and only way I can
find to prevent a multipart attachment is to increase the number of message
lines. I didn't search around much though.

Since not seeing any sign of a reposting yet I'll go ahead and say here that
the sky is already very dark, yet bright enough so for a moonlit sky that
might be okay. The ice is oversaturated, it should be bluish anyway in
moonlight. For the water (or floor as you called it) you might try
'exponent' with a value somewhat lower than 1 in the reflection. That causes
the brighter places to appear more than darker ones. And atmospheric haze,
i.e. ground fog, would be of benefit to emphasize large scale.

Bob H.