POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Request : Re: Request (4 images ~400KiB) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:37:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request (4 images ~400KiB)
From: Stefan Persson
Date: 26 Aug 2003 19:49:53
Message: <3f4bf221$1@news.povray.org>
> I understand, except your example here was not right for the subject. I
> couldn't see any difference between any of those four images. I don't wear
> my eyeglasses most of the time I'm using the computer since I'm
nearsighted
> and can see well enough to not need them. Although, I can't see perfectly
> either so I had to lean closer to the screen to see any imperfections,
> possibly because I use a 15" LCD with a 1600x1200 resolution.

My point was that exactly, you can't see any significant difference between
them.
I realised after I posted the images that I should have tagged them in the
picture
so that it would be easier to see which one was which.

> I don't know what medium quality equates to in ImageReady but I'm sure it
> would make some images look awful, so much so that they wouldn't be as
> useful to see anymore.

Well, medium quality in ImageReady is somewhere around 40-50 % compression.
But that is a slider, so in reality it makes the image even smaller.

> I like PNG, actually.

Yes, me too. Mainly because it replaced that awful GIF format.
Though the compression part of the format is not as good as JPG i use
it whenever I can.

> While on this topic, I noticed Hugo mention pixel resolution too. Good
point
> as well, because once you get to a large viewing size the trouble is
> two-fold. Being able to see it all at once and compressing to a small
enough
> file without negatively affecting the appearance. Based on what is typical
> here I'd say 800x600 ought to be the usual maximum, with no more than a
> 300KB download size *after* encoding. I like it when they are less than
> that, and get grumpy if encountering megabytes of little or giant images
> when I read through povray.binaries.images.

Yes, resolution is an issue. I would say that a 17" CRT with 1024x768 is
standard today.
That means that any image larger than 1024x768 is not recommended since it,
like you wrote,
makes it hard to view. If you then consider that we mostly view these images
in somekind of
newsreader with buttons, toolbars and other stuff, 800x600 or less makes it
fit in the
window without having to use sliders. Well, almost anyway.
I didn't say anything about that because that is rather unusual that anyone
posts anything
that large.

/Stefan